Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How do I persuade my parents to let me attend the college of my choice?

I have a huge problem. I have the choice of going to Temple University or Rutgers University. I live in New Jersey, so Tuition for Temple obviously costs more than it would be if I went to Rutgers. However, my whole family goes/went to Temple and lives in Philly. I know it's the perfect college for me. However, my parents won't let me attend Temple, even though they both met there. So how do I persuade them to let me attend Temple?How do I persuade my parents to let me attend the college of my choice?
Make a list of the advantages of Temple over Rutgers in terms of academics, choices, etc. However, if your parents are paying for your university, and the cost difference is substantial, you have to take that into consideration. Can you find a way to make up the difference in cost by working, etc.? That might help, and might also show that you are serious about it.How do I persuade my parents to let me attend the college of my choice?
Your parents do not have anything to do it is your decision. You are over 18 right? Then be an adult make a decision and simply tell your patents what you are doing. Let them know you are not asking their permission. You are an adult and you have made the decision yourself. If they say if they are going to pay for it then they get to decide. Then thank them for letting you know their decision, thank them for allowing you live under their roof for 18 years and go out and get student loans to go to the school you want to.
Take it from a guy who went to the only school he applied to and then found out it wasn't what he wanted and is now going to a community college because a 4 year school wasn't for him. The lesson there is go where you are most comfortable being. It's your life, go ahead and live it the way you want.
Find out the reasons they won't let you go. If it is for financial reasons, make sure you have considered all options for student loans, grants, scholarships etc. Or offer a plan to help them pay for it. But don't just say, ';oh, I can help pay.'; Figure out how you're going to help them pay, give them as many details as possible.





Also what are the reasons they have that justifies their belief that it is their decision to make and not yours? If it is because they are the ones who are going to pay for it, you may have to go it alone financially if you really think it's the best university for you. You'll be in debt afterward, but it's worth it if Rutgers won't give you what you need. I'm just assuming that the reasons are financially-related since you mentioned that Rutgers is cheaper. If that's not the case, then what other reasons do they give you?
if your 18 then they don't have to let you do anything . . do what you feel is best for you. If they are paying then thats a whole different story . . but if your paying your own way do what is best for you.
Just tell them I really want to go and it really about education and this is the education system I want to join
Maybe they cannot afford for you to go to Temple. See if you can come up with some scholarships that will help pay the extra amount for Temple.
pay for it urself or go where they tell u since they are holding hte money
My advice is to go to the best school possible -- even if it costs more. This is because the extra cost will pay off by allowing you to get higher paying jobs in the future.





I'd like you to take some time to reconsider your choices.





Rutgers is a top tier university in a suburban setting and one of the better State schools. Temple, on the other hand, is a third tier university in a bad neighborhood that isn't even the second best public university in its state.





If you really want to live in Philadelphia (I've lived there and love the city) -- you can do it after you graduate.





Wouldn't you rather live there with a high paying job and a degree from a top tier university -- instead of struggling to find a job with a degree from a third tier school?





Listen to your parents.
If you pay for it all yourself then they have no right to tell you what college to go to or what major to take.
Figure out a way to pay for it yourself, and you won't have to worry about what they think.


You might also want to define their reasons why they don't want you to go there.
if you are still living At home they have the final word if you are paying your own way they still have the final say but you can pay to go where you want to go. obey your parent or obey your parents
Pay for it yourself and go where you want.
You don't, You are an adult at 18
Talk to them and find out why they don't want you to go there. If money is an issue, apply for loans and do it yourself or have your parents co-sign with you or try and get scholarships. It's your future and your education...they shouldn't make that decision, only you should. Good luck!
The question that comes to mind is why do your parents not want you to go to Temple? Without that information, it makes it difficult to help or give you suggestions as to how to approach them. You can make a list of pros and cons for both colleges. If your parents are paying for your tuition, then it will be more difficult for you. Also, you may want to try to get some grants, loans or scholarships to help defray the cost of attending Temple. Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment