Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is this neglect or just bad parenting?

A friend of mine has 2 very young children, 3 and 18 months. She recently confided to me that she often keeps them in bed in the morning until 9 or 10, even if they awake around 7.


She says she likes the time to herself and to get things done, but personally I think that's way too long to expect them to be in bed. They go to bed about 8pm.


Otherwise they're looked after well, but this seems neglectful to me. What do you guys think?Is this neglect or just bad parenting?
All I will say there is that at some point kids HAVE to learn how to entertain themselves.





Does she check on them or monitor them with a video to ensure they are safe and 'alright'? As long as that is done, is it really any different than a play pen? Than play time across the room while mommy cooks? I mean, is it?





Then that brings the question, should kids be entertained by someone else 100% of time? And if they are, what happens when it is physically impossible to do so? What happens when they start school?Is this neglect or just bad parenting?
As long as they are fed, comfortable, not crying, and the baby isn't wet then they are just getting used to amusing themselves.





Like the person above, I feel that it's no different then putting them in a playpen. Sometimes I don't get my daughter as soon as she wakes up and she uses that time to practice rolling over, creeping, talking and other things (she is four months old).





It depends. That is a long time for them to be alone, but if they are properly cared for and she isn't locking them in and ignoring them then I think that's fine. Especially if they have something to amuse themselves, books for the 3 year old and toys for the 18 month old then they are learning that she doesn't need to jump whenever they are awake.
I would say SELFISHNESS, I have a 16-month old %26amp; a 26-month old. I must admit, I am wore out by the time I put them in bed at 8:00pm, but I am also bursting with joy to see their smiling faces at 6:30am, I am a stay at home mom, you just have to get your children in a routine that work's for all of you %26amp; be consistant with it on a daily basis. Then everyone's happy %26amp; you can get a little time for yourself when the baby's are napping. I'm sorry, but it's my opinion, That your child should alway's come first%26amp; enjoy every second you can with them while their little, this special moment is gone before you know it. I know I also have a 18-year old %26amp; a 20 year old.
Wow some are so quick to judge this lady, especially a certain someone with no children of her own....you have no room to speak Miss Everyone is a ';Bad/Lazy'; Parent.





Anyhow, if the children are happy and content then there's nothing wrong with it. Everyone is so ready and wanting to holler ';ABUSE or NEGLECT'; for every little thing just because they don't agree with it. Neglect or bad parenting would be leaving the children in there for hours and hours and not feeding them or changing them or paying any attention to them. THAT is neglect and bad parenting. What this woman is doing is not bad or neglectful at all. I think you all should butt out of this woman's life and let her raise her children.
No more neglectful than parents who drag their sleeping children out of bed to stick them in daycare. Why is it ok for a mother to have time to herself at work but not at home? I think that it's kinda long, granted, but no one seems to think that it isn't bad to wake children when they are still sleeping at all and send them to daycare and school (yeah, try and get a child to learn when they haven't had enough rest).
are they in there crying to come out or are they in there happy also dos she give them breakfast in there or wait it they are out of there rooms,


i mean we all do things differentaly but really is she up getting things done or is she in bed still???????


i think she lied about that and she is in bed still!!!!


I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONES SAYS IT IS NEGLECTFUL!!


bloody hell that stuff shits me get out of bed and attened to you kids they have been in there from 8 the night before bloody slake.
If they are fed, taken care of and not abused, I would call that bad parenting bordering on neglect. There is no way she should expect her kids to say in bed for two to three extra hours in the morning. That's selfish to me. If they go to bed at 8pm, is that not enough ';time to herself'; at night? Kids need stimulation and they certainly aren't getting it by staying in bed extra hours. I can't imagine doing that to my kids. Sheeesh. What will I hear next?
If they 18 month old is having diaper rash from a wet diaper, that is neglect. If the 3yr old is hungry or can't get to the bathroom then that is neglect.





An hour is probably ok, but anything longer is unhealthy and selfish. If she wants more time to herself she should get up an hour earlier. If you are not sure if it constitutes abuse call the abuse hotline.
I don't think its right. I feel its neglectful. I can't wait to start my day with my child. I adjust my schedule to fit hers and get up at 6:30 or 7 to have that extra time to myself. She usually wakes around 7 or 7:30 on the weekends. We don't have this option on the weekdays because we have to get up to go to work, I get up around 5:30 a.m. and she's usually ready to get up around 6:30 a.m. sometimes I have to wake her and its heartbreaking, but I've gotta put a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, clothes on our back-no one else is going to. But if I do over sleep and she's awake when I get up, I always worry how long she had been awake. But then I'm always up by 8a.m. at the latest.
i know what she means, i do the same sometimes. itswhat uve got to do to get cirtain things done .its not neglectful, i always make sure hes got a drink and toys to play with. its the same as putting him in a play pen.





id just like to add that when i do it , he is clean and fed, and doesnt cry to come out at all...if your friend is leaving him in wet nappys and no food, then yes that is neglect.
personaly i cant wait to see my kids in the morn i do however have one cup of coffee first they know that and have no problem waiting however if they had to wait hrs til mommy was ready to be a mommy that just isnt right i feel sorry for kids these days i really do parents are getting more %26amp; more selfish everyday if she wants so much time for herself she shouldnt of had kids i m sorry but stories like this really piss me off. if i were u i would say some thing to her about it.
If they are in bed at 8pm, then that is ample time for her to ';have to herself'; in the evening. There is no need for her to do this. I find that mean!


I have a 2 year old, and I know once he wakes, if I don't get him up in the next 5 - 10 minutes he really lets me know!!


I am assuming these little ones start crying, so therefore that is just wrong.
Are they screeming to get out? How could they not? Does she check on them and interact w/them during this time? I think it is fine to leave them safely in thier cribs while she quickly showers or makes her bed, etc., but 2-3 hours is very excessive. But, she is the mom and it will soon end w/the 3 year old. Maybe once that happens, she will go ahead and get the other one up too.
i can do that at times in the school holidays although my 2 are older so they dont stay in bed they have a play and somtimes get dressed but if the complain their hungry from 8am onwards i Will get up %26amp; make them their breakfast etc


i wouldnt worry maybe your friends feeling abit low %26amp; cant get that morning motivation us parents need :)
What is she getting done that can't be done at night? Why can't she use a gate and let them up but be in thier room?Self goes out the window when you have kids, I think. But that is me.I put my kids needs right beside mine. We are a family.If something needs done,we do it together. It will take longer, but the 3 year olds usually love to help Mommy.
My very first thought when reading this was: what about a wet diaper, or having to go the bathroom? What about something to drink and eat? Am I missing something here? Two or three HOURS after they wake up? No. No, no, no. Sometimes I wait until I've visited the bathroom and had a couple of sips of coffee before I go get my kiddo. But come on! What do they do for all that time? I don't get it.
I don't think it's neglectful at all. She's smart. Parents have to take care of themselves first before they can help their kids. The kids will be fine, and they'll learn that people don't always have to instantly jump for them every second of the day.
As long as the baby isn't sitting in a dirty diaper, theres nothing wrong. Kids can stay in there rooms, bed, playpen, for hours playing as long as they have something to play with
First off every parent has there way of parenting. Dosent matter if you agree or not.





Let her do it her way or you could loose her as a firend if you butt in.
I don't think it's that bad. Yes 2 hours is a long time to leave a baby in bed after they've been awake, but I wouldn't call it neglect.
It isn't neglect, just a bad parenting technique. She needs to prioritize her day a lot better with the kids included.





Can she not clean the house while they are napping, or during play time?
As long as they aren't hungry, wet or miserable, it's not right, but it's not neglect either...selfish parenting at best!
Do they actually have to stay in the bed or just in their room(s)?


But I would not call that neglect at all.
she should have it only be for like 30 minutes to 1 hour but no longer
Lazy, bad parenting...maybe she should get up earlier?
If the children are happy to play in their rooms for a while and don't complain, I'd say it's neither lazy/bad parenting or neglectful.





My two year old daughter wakes at around 7:30 am and I let her play in her room until 9 am while I get my newborn situated and fed in the morning. She does just fine playing for a little while and it gives her an opportunity to wake up more before I go in to get her. I check on her a couple times to make sure she's still content and she's been waking this way for months now. She would wake at 7 am and I would have no idea until I was out of bed at 8:30 or even 9 am that she had been awake because she stayed quiet and played for that long. If she's happy, I'm not complaining.


It's not neglectful or bad parenting, especially if the child is content playing for awhile. There's nothing wrong with giving yourself a little time in the morning. Just be sure to check in on them every so often.
it is neglect and bad parenting, your friend needs to get her children out of bed about 15 minutes after they wake, then they can really wake up and get ready for the days adventures. but make sure that you tell your friend this cuz im sure she will respond, studdies show that 87% of young children that get over 11 hours of sleep become obese in ther later years.
  • estee lauder
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment