Thursday, May 13, 2010

Do you, as a parent, ever consider the environmental and/or sociological impact of your parenting choices?

Why or why not?





Discuss...Do you, as a parent, ever consider the environmental and/or sociological impact of your parenting choices?
i sure do!





we are a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, recycling, mother nature respecting family





my 5 year old is waaaaay more educated and consciencous of the world than most American adults





i live my life to leave the least footprint.....my daughter's will learn the same





i am also raising my daughter's to be aware of other ppl, to be tolerant and loving, and to always extend a helping handDo you, as a parent, ever consider the environmental and/or sociological impact of your parenting choices?
An eco-friendly lifestyle and responsible parenting are not mutually exclusive!


I live in Switzerland, the cleanest country on earth. I buy produce %26amp; meat at a farm in our village. I pay the equivalent of $1.50 for ONE trash bag to encourage people to recycle. (con鈥檛)

Report Abuse



But those aren鈥檛 PARENTING decisions. When I breastfeed, it鈥檚 because it鈥檚 best for my child. The fact that it鈥檚 good for the environment is a bonus. You need to open your mind a little鈥搕he results are the same: happy, healthy children AND a bright future for the planet.

Report Abuse



Every moment of every day. Especially now with the global village, and kids being more aware of the world outside their own home.
I agree with Lyn 100%.Any choice I make will be for the best of my children.I am more concerned for them than anything else..
most always..





especially environmental impacts.. which is why I only had 1 kid...





did you know the United Nations warned a few years ago that the #1 threat to continuted Human existance was our own population growth.. they reccommended a sustainable level of 5 BILLION (many scientists actually feel 500 Million would be better) - we ae currently OVER 6.5 BILLION and the problems are (or should be) Obvious.. deforestation, urban sprawl, air pollution, depletion of natural resources, stress,... etc





even 1 child is growth becuase you are still alive..


years ago women died in child birth often and few kids lived beyond the age of 6 yrs. the average lifespan was much lower than today...





SOOOOO the most responsible thing I ever did as a parent was have my tubes tied after my one and only child was born.
Yes, absolutely. It's our responsibility to do so. It's why I choose cloth diapers, organic foods and breastfeeding. It's why I try very hard to model patience, politeness and courtesy to my children. Society and the environment are a constant influence in everything I do, including parenting.
Absolutely. Our girls are with my husband and I for a comparitively short time, until they are grown women participating in the rest of society.


Our job and role as parents is to raise them to be responsible, respectful, and self sufficient women who will bring meaning and purpose to their own lives and the lives of others around them.


To raise them any other way would, I feel, be irresponsible.
I strive towards attachment parenting and gentle discipline in order to raise children that will grow into responsible, compassionate adults.





We choose to cloth diaper (though we're now using biodegradable disposables- gDiapers), breastfeed, homebirth, etc both for the benefits for ourselves but also the environmental impact.





I think it's important for parents to research and make educated choices!





So- my answer to your question is ABSOLUTELY!
Of course.





Our son is not due until March, but my husband and I have already discussed what values/issues/standards that we feel are important to impart to our child.





I think the greatest gift/skill you can give to any child is a love of learning. Children who are fascinated by the world and encouraged to learn about it are far more likely to respect others and the world in general.





The biggest issue for us has been that as atheists we want to find a way to allow our son to make his own decision about religion. I've always resented the fact that society attempted to force me to be religious and I want to avoid doing the opposite to my son. I want him to decide the place of religion in his life for himself.





I know that I am right about the existence of god, but I think it's an answer everyone needs to find for themselves. So we'll raise him on the principles of secular humanism, which I personally find to be the best philosophy for living.





Ahh... the old ';thumbs down for the atheist';... my old friend!
I tried to teach my kids to be good people. I taught them not to kill without a reason. I taught them to treat others as they would like to be treated (a concept not unique to the deeply religious.) I think I did a fair job. Nobody's perfect but I tried.
No.


Parenting choices are meant to be just that - choices we make for the benefit of our children, not the world at large.





The sociological and environmental effects of those decisions are secondary to the decision itself.





That said, certain decisions I make in my own life (recycle, conserve energy, etc.) set a good example for my children to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment