Sunday, January 17, 2010

How does having alcholoic parents during childhood affect a person as a teenager?

When I was a child, both my parents were alcholics, both got sober eventually, but since middle school I have had major emotional problems. I was wondering if my problems have stemmed from my childhood.How does having alcholoic parents during childhood affect a person as a teenager?
From talking to many adult children of alcoholic parents and reading numerous books on this subject, it seems that there are no clear-cut answers. Then again, psychology is the study of the individual and not /everyone/.





Like any parents with mental illness, alcoholics may have extreme emotional responses that may confuse a child. This may lead a child to be confused about his or her identity and sense of right and wrong well into adulthood. They may seek, unconsciously, to get into abusive relationships to try to ';save'; the mother or father in their mind. This is all speculation, of course, but it's something to think about.





I think you'll be all right, if you want my professional opinion. It's not a death sentence, and even if they were abusive to you (which is not your fault in any way, of course), there are always ways around it. I completely agree with the comment that mentions that no one else's actions should dominate your own: you are your own person mentally, biologically, and spiritually.





You have the right to live a good life.How does having alcholoic parents during childhood affect a person as a teenager?
be strong...............dont look back and dont be over ruled by others problems.
I am an adult child of an alcoholic mother. I experienced a lot of emotional issues during my teen years. My father was never home (he had to work alot) so all we had was my mother who was always drunk. I developed major trust issues. i couldnt trust my own mother to be there for me so trusting others was very difficult and sometimes still is. I also would look for love in the wrong places, if you know what i mean. Eventually i started using drugs, i geuss to kind of distance myself from my home life. That was the worst decision i ever made in my life. But you should know that i'm only 23 and i dont have these issues anymore. i havn't used drugs in three years (it made everything so much worse), and i have accepted that my mother is what she is and is a human that makes mistakes. Don't feel like you are doomed. Also consider helping yourself. Things like therapy and consuling can really help. And please NEVER try using drugs to make you feel better. IT doesn't work. and it can potentially destroy your life. My sister started using when she was sixteen. Shes now 25, and has basically gone crazy from all of the drugs. She has a son who doens't have a mother. it's sad. You may want to consider talking to your parents about family therapy. Good Luck to you!
its easy to psych yourself out like that. Don't worry just try to keep things calm and if it doesnt stop talk to someone whio can help like a psychologist.


Hope things get better for you.
Yes your right. The reason why you used to drink alcohol was because it was around you. Your parents did it. Everybody has to understand that what we see our parents do to us as children will affect our whole lives. If you still have emotional problems try going to a therapist or rehab. They may help you get rid of those emotions you no more want. I hope this advice helps you.
i am now an adult child of an alcoholic father. i was angry as a teenager. i resented him because he put me through so many years of emotional abuse but in some ways i appreciate the lessons he taught me because all of his family are alcoholics, they all looked at their hardships and instead of dealing they drank them away. after seeing his behavior i was determined to be different and i am. i didn't and i don't drink my problems away. i work my butt off to not follow his patterns and become another one of ';the family';. i had so much help through therapy and support groups such as ala-non and ala-teen. i realized that although i cannot control his behavior, i can control the affects i let it have one me. i have embraced and accepted the emotional scars i was given and let them turn me into a stronger person! best wishes
My father had a drinking problem and would get very nasty when he got drunk. It turned me off from drinking to excess. I can enjoy an alcoholic beverage now and then but I know when to stop. I saw how people I respected a great deal turned into fools when they had too much to drink and I vowed it would never happen to me.
i was in a similar situation. my mom's boyfriend for a long time was an alcoholic (and is still trying to recover.) It makes me really upset when anyone jokes about alcoholism, and i just feel so confused about the situation. It used to be worse: when they were still dating i cried myself to sleep everynight. Granted, he wasn't really my parent, so it wasn't as bad, but still. I know it's tough, but come to terms with your past. don't dwell on it, but don't push out out completely, because that would be the most emotionally damaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment