Saturday, January 23, 2010

How can i convince my parents to allow me to adopt a dog?

We have a dog already, but i really want to add a new addition to the house. I found the cutest little chihuahua up for adoption and i've been trying to convince my parents, but they keep saying that they don't want another dog and that one is enough. And when i ask them to elaborate they just get aggravated and then i back off because i don't want to get them mad (sure-fire way to NOT get the dog) anyway does anyone have any advice! It would be greatly appreciated!! I am a 14 year old, straight-A student! And i've asked them if it's a responsibility issue and they said no. So, all i know is that one is enough and that they don't want another one. (informative, no?)How can i convince my parents to allow me to adopt a dog?
How much do you do for your current dog? Do you take it on walks, feed it, water it, and brush it?





Are your parents doing well money wise? If your parents are having money problems try ask your parents I you paid for the dog would it change things?





If it turns out that your parents mind can't be changed, try visiting your local SPCA they always seem to need volunteers to play with and walk the dogs.How can i convince my parents to allow me to adopt a dog?
I wanted a little sister but never got it. You need to keep asking but if they don't want to buy it, you have to just suck it up. They're probably going to be the ones cleaning up after it anyway.
Do this ask them for something really big like a trip to a place and when they say no the ask them for a dog. : )
take total responsibility of the dog you have now to prove you'll be able to handle it when i got my yellow lab i had to find out all info myself, find what i wanted myself, and take care of my many other animals and my mom knew i would be able to take care of it try to raise money to pay for it and its food yourself
maybe it is a income issue. and the mom usually is the one to take care of it, so l guess you must convince them that you would be responible and l will also ask them too so show the this answer of mine. mom dad please pretty please with hugs and kiss. let me know if this works. after all no one hates a dog lover.
I think what they are afriad of is the fact that they may not trust you with a dog. I have a Chiuahua of my own and they r frigile and because of there size, there is a whole new world of training and feeding, handling a walking. If you have a big dog your parents may be worried that the big one mite hurt the small one. This is very true if you want to get a Chu from a shelter as a younge adult. If you want a chu, better to get it as a pup so it grows around bigger dogs. I have a saint bernard and he had to grow up around her.





Also, look up the breed, talk to your parents at dinners about the breed and what you know. Take you parents to shelters and Dog Show and or breeders to get an opion on a perfeshioal and mabe your parents will give it second thought,.





Its very rewarding to have two dog(hell I have 4) But its alot of work and effort. Take an intrest in what breed u have now and read up on the toys and get book. Out smart you parents instead of asking the same question ova and ova!





Never get a puppy from and pet store such a PJs. Breeders or shelter, If you do decide Pet Store, look up puppy mills first, PLEZ PLEZ!!!!!!
Wow! This sounds just like what I wanted. I am also 14 and a straight A student so we are must alike, and I wanted a shih tzu. I had to show my parents I was both responsible and mature. It doesn't matter if you get good or bad grades, as long as you can take full care of the dog. Puppies are a lot of work, and when I got my 2 month shih tzu, I had to work so hard to make sure he was fully trained and didn't poop in the house, lmao. I had to buy a kennel, dog bowls, a leash, a collar, grooming materials, a fense, and a dog bed so he could sleep on it at night. I had to show my parents I was 100% ready for a new addition to the family. I started watching the dog whisperer so i could know how to train a puppy. I reccomend using a crate when your not home so the puppy doesn't destory the house. I googled the dog and learned more about the shih tzus so I knew that the dog I already had would get along with the shih tzu. I reccomend googling chihuahaus to learn more about them and how they act to other dogs. I'm sure you will make a great owner, and if you need more help, e-mail me at hoopz7147@yahoo.com. Remember, your first dog was there first so you must be respectful to give both dogs equal attention.





Kevin
1. Safety for you if u are alone after school at your house


2. Helps let you learn responsibilty


3.Can gain experience


4.Better than alarm system


5.When taking walks you get exercise too
Why are you really wanting a new addition? Do you realize that this will take more money to feed, time...not to mention someone will have to do it. Have you been taking care of the first one?





If you believe you have good enough reasons for wanting another dog, and responsibility is not the issue (although I'll bet it has to be part of it), then you should tell them in clear and humble tones what they are.
say i will take care of it and it will help me be more responsible
If they say no, then the answer is no. It's great that you are responsible, but remember that in 3-4 years, they will be the one taking care of the dog for the next 10 years. You'll be off at college, working, and having fun, and won't be able to care for the dog, so what will happen? Your parents will get stuck with it.





I think it's noble to want to adopt a dog, but I just don't think it's the greatest idea. If your parents don't want it, then you shouldn't try to convinve them. This isn't a toy - it's a 15 year committment. Where will you be when you are 30?
Apparently you do not know your parents very well. The responsibility issure is the problem, but , probably not in the way you mean it. Take the time to really listen and become involved in your parents life, quietly. It will then become apparent why another dog is not wanted.
try caring for you current dog, doing everything. training, walking, feeding, watering, pooper-scooping, EVERYTHING. offer to pay for the new dog. by caring for the dog you already have you can show them that you can care for the other one. if they feel that now you care for this one and don't need another, suck it up, by doing everything for your dog it will become YOUR dog pretty quick. look at my 2 ';family dogs'; i walk outside, and no-one else exists.
A dog is a lot to clean up after. Plus, vacations and work are hard for dog-sitting. They might also be afraid that the dogs will not get along which can easily happen. Do they have allergies? Has your other dog been ill? Animals do not live as long as humans and it is very sad when they die. Vets are very expensive and it is very hard to determine what is wrong with the animal.
Think of a really good way to impress your parents. I wanted a Great Dane when I was your age (he was as big as I was! lol), and my parents said the same thing. Here's what I did:


1- Do (more) chores around the house. Make sure your parents don't ask you to do them, because that will ruin the whole idea. If you can find chores that they particularly don't like to do (dishes, vaccum, dust, take out the trash), those would work the best. When they notice (it shouldn't take long) they might look for a way to reward you for this.


2- Save up money to pay for it yourself. Even though paying for it isn't an issue, it will help to show them how much you really want it. Offer to do chores for neighbors, babysit (if you can), make deals with siblings or friends to do their chores for a price to expedite the process ;)


3- Make out a schedule. They say you don't have enough time for another dog? Show them you do. Be mature about it, almost like you are giving a report to the class. The schedule should be for a month or so. If you can, make it hourly. Highlight the free time you have. It would be a good idea to include time for chores, homework and studying, eat dinner, school, family time, and any other things that may come up. If you have siblings, you could even write in ';Argue with Brother'; to get a chuckle from them. This usually lightens the mood. In a different color, in the free spaces write things like ';Walk the dogs'; or ';Play with dogs';.


4-Show your knowledge. Research chihuahuas. Did you know that they are the oldest breed in the American continent? Christopher Columbus even mentioned keeping a chihuahua as a pet in a letter to the king! Drop tidbits of information every once in a while, and they will begin to be more and more interested in the dog.





Hope this helps! Good luck!
Go ahead and get the dog and get a gun or a large blade and an evil looking friend. Take them home and have the friend hold the weapon to the dog's head. Tell your parents if they don't let you keep the dog your friend is going to kill it.
Consider volunteering at an animal shelter instead. They really need the help and you can learn a great deal about dogs and what makes a responsible owner. You should not push your parents for a dog. Grades have nothing to do with it. Your grades show that you are a good student who cares about yourself, not anything to do with earning a dog.


Volunteering your time to dogs who need a home is really responsible as there is no selfishness tied to it.
Keep in mind that this is not your home. Puppies can be destructive and what would it be destroying? Your parents' most valueable asset. Dogs are pack animals and do you know who the other pack members are? Your family. When it comes time to move out on your own or go to college, what will come of these dogs? It's hard to find an apartment that will accept one dog, let alone two. And a dorm accepting two dogs? Not on your life! Please consider how this will effect you and your parents in the future. A dog is a huge commitment for a pretty large portion of your life.
Be persistent. I wanted a chihuahua since fifth grade. I begged all the time, researched them at the library. I begged them to the point of annoyance. I was a straight A student also. They finally broke down when I was 12 and rescued not one, but TWO chihuahuas.
I would use the line that dogs are pack anuimals and do better with other dogs. They can keep each other company and entertain each other.





I think the volunteering at a animal shelter is good too. I have been using this tact to talk my wife into another dog. . . I have not ben able to make headway either. . .
tell them that since u have traight a's that they shoulb be rewarding u with somthing u want and that u will take care of it no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!
If your a straight-A student tell them it is about time you had a reward for those fourteen long a.k.a. very fourteen year filled long time. The little pup can stay in your room and you promise to do your homework and come to the dogs every needs and not give more or less attention to it then the dog you already have.








ROCK ON


PEACE OUT


BE HAPPY


DC
My best advice is to tell them why you want another dog. Show them the cute little puppy. Maybe they'll think the dog is cute too! And if that doesn't work then all you can do is hope. Never abandon HOPE! GOOD LUCK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment