Thursday, December 31, 2009

What age is suitable for children to travel with a relative, without parents?

My daughter is 1 old and my husband's grandmother wants to take her to Texas with her this May. We live in California. I think this is too young and too far for her without parents. My husband disagrees. Am I being unreasonable?What age is suitable for children to travel with a relative, without parents?
Since your daughter is too young to remember this trip, the only reason to let her go is for the sake of her great-grandmother. You have to ask yourself if it's something you feel comfortable with. Will your daughter be safe? How old is her great-grandmother? And why does she need a one-year old? I think at this age, a picture or video would be more appropriate to take along. A one-year old is still a baby and is COMPLETELY dependant on those around them. Many are still nursing and in that case, need to stay with their mothers for nutritional/feeding reasons.





Since this is really more of a decision between you and your husband, try to get him to explain to you WHY it is so important for your baby to go on this trip. If you are very uncomfortable with it, explain your reasons for this and try to make a compromise. Maybe she can go on this trip when she is older and can remember it or maybe you can go with her or maybe the whole family can take a trip to Texas together, in the future.





Personally, I think 1 is too young to travel without parents. Weigh the pros and cons and try to make this decision together. If, in the end, your husband won't change his mind, and the trip is short (only a few days) and this great-grandmother is fully capable of taking care of your child, then let her go. I'm sure a great-grandmother will really enjoy being able to spend some time with the child and showing her off to her friends, even if the child won't remember the trip.What age is suitable for children to travel with a relative, without parents?
It is way to young. She will probably feel like you abandoned her. It might be okay if your daughter has spent many consecutive nights at her home without you. I would not ever let my child go away to another state without me. They would have to be in their teen years and even then I would not be completely sure.
i never let my kids go on vacations with family members till they was at least 5, yes i trusted the people but i didnt think my kids was old enough
how is she to young to travel with a trusted person let alone a relative? Let her go with Grandma and create memories...grandma wont always be around forever. U are being unreasonable.
My grandparents took me and my cousins to Kentucky (we live in Ohio) for a week and the youngest of us was 2 years old. Really it is what you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't allow my children to leave the state with family without me and they are 3 and 5 but some do allow it at a young age. If it makes you feel uncomfortable then you put your foot down. If he thinks you are being unfair tell him that either you can go or he can go but that she isn't old enough to go without one of you. I agree that is a big distance for that age to be away from both parents.
I think u should let her go she is a 1yr old I think thats the right age 2 let her go with a family member...It is her gramdma my a friend...lt her go u will be ok trust ma I got three lol
I agree with you. She is way too young to be away from you for so long and so far away. She is too young to understand and would probably feel abandoned.


Also, if something were to happen how soon would you want to be with your daughter?
any age as long as this family member is well trusted.
go for it


it will be a nice break for you and your husband





my daughter was just under one when she stayed with my inlaws for a week and it was fine





make sure to get a power of attorney so your husband's grandma can take her to the hospital in case of emergency


and send a feeding and nap schedule and a blanket or toy that smells like you
I am 23 and only ever been alone for 1 night. :)


My kids are 2yo, and I don't even let them stay over night at their grandparents.





Your husband probably just wants special time with you. Your not being unreasonable, I totally agree.
generally, they should be 3-5 years old, but it depends on the individual.
I think this should depend entirely on how well your little girl knows her grandmother and therefore how safe she would feel. If she doesn't know her well (and judging by the distance I would guess this is probably the case) then she will probably feel scared and abandoned. She needs to spend time with her grandmother with you guys there, and get to know who she is before she goes off with her alone. If this has already been done, they have already begun to establish an in-person relationship and she is the type of relative you trust your baby's life with, then you should consider it. But I don't think you're being unreasonable in either case, you're being protective of your child and that's what any loving mother is supposed to do!!! I hope you guys find a solution that makes everyone happy, best of luck to you!!
I would say that it would depend on how long. Some kids couldn't handle a long period of time or long distances. It's good for kids to be away from home when they are younger, so they don't have problems when they're older(like when they're invited to spend the night at a friends). I could see if it were just for the night or something, but if its more than that. . . I would disagree with you if she were older like 4-5, in which case mommy would have to learn to let go, but i think your fear is justified.
the best age that is suitable for children to travel with a relative with out parents is atleast the child should be 12 years of age.
Goodness me! My baby is 2 and we still have not even got her baby-sat!





My 2nd oldest child is 12 and he will be travelling to Thailand with his grandparents in November this year for 3 weeks and other than a couple of short weekend trips with grandparents that is it!


I would not let her go.

No comments:

Post a Comment